Connect with us

Cover

Tension Mounts as Over 1,000 CSOs Demand NAFDAC DG’s Sack Over Enforcement of Sachet Alcohol Prohibition

Published

on

No fewer than 1,000 civil society organisations on Wednesday staged a coordinated protest in Abuja, demanding the immediate removal of the Director-General of the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC), Prof. Mojisola Christianah Adeyeye, over the enforcement of the ban on sachet alcohol and 200ml PET bottle alcoholic beverages.

The protest, led by the Coalition for Unemployed People in Nigeria (CUPN) and supported by various youth groups, market associations, and small-scale business advocates, accused the NAFDAC boss of implementing what they described as a “reckless and economically disruptive” policy without adequate consultation or consideration of its broader implications.

Addressing journalists at the protest ground in Abuja, CUPN leader, Comrade Korede Omoniyi, alleged that the enforcement of the ban reflects “gross incompetence, abuse of public office, and disregard for due process.”

According to him, the decision to enforce the prohibition on sachet and small PET alcohol products contradicts existing regulatory frameworks and undermines ongoing economic recovery efforts of the Federal Government.

Alleged Disregard for Due Process

Omoniyi claimed that the directive runs contrary to provisions of the National Alcohol Policy endorsed by the Federal Ministry of Health, which he said remains operational and binding.

He further alleged that there had been prior directives advising regulatory caution pending the outcome of consultations by a joint review committee. The coalition argued that proceeding with enforcement despite these developments demonstrates insensitivity to democratic processes and stakeholder engagement.

“The enforcement is authoritarian and high-handed. It ignores economic realities and dismisses the voices of thousands of Nigerians whose livelihoods depend on this value chain,” Omoniyi stated.

The coalition also referenced a resolution of the House of Representatives dated March 14, 2024, which reportedly advised against the immediate implementation of the ban following public hearings and engagements with stakeholders. According to the group, lawmakers had raised concerns about the socio-economic implications of the policy.

The protesting organisations warned that the ban could trigger massive job losses across manufacturing, distribution, retail, and logistics sectors.

They argued that sachet and small PET alcoholic beverages were introduced to meet the purchasing power of low-income adult consumers and to ensure affordability while maintaining regulatory oversight.

“Thousands of small and medium-scale enterprises are on the brink of collapse. The ripple effects of this decision could worsen unemployment and reduce government revenue at a critical time,” Omoniyi said.

The coalition maintained that the policy, if sustained, may fuel the proliferation of illicit and unregulated alcohol products, thereby posing greater public health risks.

According to the group, regulated sachet alcohol products are manufactured under hygienic conditions and certified by NAFDAC, with compliance checks regularly conducted to ensure safety standards.

The civil society groups dismissed claims that sachet packaging significantly contributes to underage drinking and alcohol abuse, insisting that there is insufficient empirical evidence to support such assertions.

They noted that industry players have reportedly invested substantial resources in nationwide campaigns promoting responsible drinking and discouraging sales to minors.

While reiterating support for strict measures against adulterated and unsafe alcoholic beverages, the coalition emphasized that regulatory actions must be evidence-based, transparent, and economically balanced.

“We are not against regulation. We are against policies that are ill-timed, socially explosive, and capable of destabilizing an already fragile economy,” Omoniyi stressed.

The coalition disclosed that it has formally petitioned the Senate, urging lawmakers to intervene and conduct a broader, more inclusive review of the matter.

Members expressed confidence that the upper legislative chamber would re-examine the policy’s implications and ensure that all stakeholders are fairly represented in deliberations.

They further called on President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to intervene urgently and relieve Prof. Adeyeye of her duties, arguing that her continued stay in office is “no longer in the national interest.”

“We urge Mr. President to act decisively to safeguard jobs, protect livelihoods, and preserve economic stability,” Omoniyi declared.

As of the time of filing this report, NAFDAC had not issued an official response to the protest.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Cover

GROUP PETITIONS MINISTER OF INTERIOR OVER DEHUMANIZING TREATMENTS IN KUJE PRISON

Published

on

A nonprofit organization, Awaiting Trial Office, has petitioned the Minister of Interior, urging an investigation into systemic exploitation and intimidation of inmates at Kuje Correctional Centre, Abuja.

In a letter signed by Mr. Ben Okundayo, Head of Administration at Awaiting Trial Office, and addressed to the Nigerian Minister of Interior on Monday in Abuja,

The group alleges that inmates are facing dehumanizing treatments, including unauthorized fees for basic amenities, restricted access to medical care, and retaliation for speaking out against mistreatment.

According to the petition, despite repeated efforts to seek redress, the grievances remain unaddressed, leaving inmates in a state of continued suffering and vulnerability.

The organization claims that a systematic scheme of taxing and exploiting inmates has been ongoing, with authorities conducting an open hearing that exposed the identities of inmates who testified about their ordeal, leading to severe repercussions.

The petition demands an impartial investigation, protection for vulnerable inmates, and urgent reforms to restore dignity and justice to the inmates of Kuje Custodial Centre.

The organization has attached letters and evidence, including a petition submitted on August 8, 2024, and follow-up letters, urging the committee to intervene and act decisively to restore hope, dignity, and fairness to the affected inmates.

The petition reads, “The persistent suffering of Kuje Custodial Centre inmates demands urgent intervention. We trust that your committee will act decisively to restore hope, dignity, and fairness to those who have been unjustly ignored.”

Continue Reading

Cover

GOCMEJ Extols CGF Olumode’s Exceptional Leadership, Describes Kano Fire Response as Model of Proactive National Service

Published

on

The Guild of Civil Societies and Media Executives for Equity, Justice and Transparency in Nigeria (GOCMEJ) has showered glowing commendation on the Controller General of the Federal Fire Service, Olumode Samuel Adeyemi, for what it described as an extraordinary demonstration of visionary leadership, rapid emergency intervention, and unwavering commitment to protecting Nigerian lives and economic assets following the devastating fire outbreak at Singa Market in Kano State.

In a press statement signed on Tuesday by Comrade Zubaida Aliyu Muhammed, the organisation described the Controller General’s immediate visit to the fire scene as a rare display of responsive and compassionate leadership, noting that such hands-on engagement reflects the highest standards of public service and administrative responsibility.

GOCMEJ stated that the Controller General’s swift physical presence at the disaster location went beyond routine official duty, portraying a leader deeply invested in the welfare of citizens and determined to ensure that emergency response operations are not only effective but sustained until total safety is guaranteed. The Guild emphasised that his direct supervision of damping-down operations to prevent re-ignition demonstrates exceptional foresight, operational discipline, and professional excellence.

The organisation further praised his strategic collaboration with the Honourable Minister of Interior, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, describing the synergy between policy direction and field execution as a shining example of coordinated governance capable of strengthening Nigeria’s disaster management architecture.

According to GOCMEJ, the Controller General’s engagement with market stakeholders represents an intelligent and inclusive crisis-management strategy. The Guild noted that his interaction with traders and market leadership underscores a progressive leadership style that recognises community participation as a vital component of sustainable fire prevention.

The civil society coalition particularly hailed the announcement of plans to establish strategically positioned fire stations across major markets in Kano, describing the initiative as transformational, forward-looking, and capable of permanently reshaping emergency response efficiency within Nigeria’s commercial centres. The organisation stressed that embedding fire stations within high-risk trading hubs reflects bold policy innovation that prioritises both human safety and economic continuity.

GOCMEJ also paid glowing tribute to the courage, resilience, and professionalism of firefighters working tirelessly at the incident scene, noting that their dedication mirrors the strong leadership culture being fostered within the Service under the Controller General’s stewardship.

The Guild maintained that the Controller General’s leadership represents a powerful symbol of accountability, empathy, and patriotic service, adding that his decisive actions during critical emergencies have not only saved properties but also restored confidence among traders and residents affected by the unfortunate incident.

The organisation described his performance as a benchmark for emergency management leadership in Nigeria, stressing that proactive crisis intervention, institutional preparedness, and people-centred governance remain indispensable pillars for national safety and development.

The statement concluded by urging public office holders across sectors to emulate this standard of excellence, noting that Nigeria’s progress depends largely on leaders who combine competence, speed, and genuine compassion in service delivery.

Continue Reading

Cover

Concerned Citizens for Change Demand Immediate Sack of NAFDAC DG Over Alleged Abuse of Office

Published

on

A civil society group, Concerned Citizens for Change, on Tuesday called for the immediate removal of the Director-General of the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC), Prof. Mojisola Christianah Adeyeye, over what it described as “gross incompetence and abuse of public office.”

Addressing journalists in Abuja, the leader of the group, Comrade Haruna Adamu, accused the NAFDAC boss of high-handedness and clandestine actions in enforcing what he termed an “arbitrary ban” on sachet alcohol and 200ml PET bottle alcoholic products.

According to Adamu, the enforcement allegedly contradicts provisions of the National Alcohol Policy signed by the Federal Ministry of Health and a presidential directive restraining NAFDAC from further disrupting the operations of affected companies pending the outcome of a joint committee review.

He further argued that the agency’s action runs counter to the economic objectives of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda and could potentially trigger civil unrest due to its timing and economic implications.

The group also referenced a resolution of the House of Representatives (NAS/10/HR/CT.33/77c of March 14, 2024), which, following a public hearing with stakeholders, reportedly restrained NAFDAC from proceeding with the ban and described it as anti-people.

“We have approached the Senate and trust that the distinguished Senators will reconsider the matter after wider consultations,” Adamu stated.

Concerned Citizens for Change maintained that the production and sale of alcoholic beverages in sachets and small PET bottles were introduced to cater to low-income adult consumers and should not be construed as harmful innovations. The group dismissed claims that sachet alcohol encourages abuse, arguing instead that smaller portions discourage excessive consumption compared to larger containers.

The group further contended that locally produced sachet alcohol products are manufactured under hygienic conditions and certified by regulatory agencies, including NAFDAC. It described assertions linking sachet alcohol to underage abuse as “untested and unverified,” claiming that independent empirical research had countered such claims.

Adamu noted that industry operators have invested over one billion naira in nationwide campaigns promoting responsible alcohol consumption and discouraging underage drinking, which he said have yielded significant positive outcomes.

While expressing support for measures aimed at eliminating unsafe products from the market, the group insisted that regulatory decisions must be based on empirical evidence rather than sentiment. It warned that the enforcement of the ban could jeopardize jobs across the value chain, encourage the proliferation of illicit and substandard products, increase smuggling, and result in revenue losses for the government.

“The continued stay of Professor Mojisola Christianah Adeyeye in office is no longer in the public interest,” Adamu declared, calling on President Tinubu, Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, to remove the NAFDAC DG without delay.

NAFDAC has yet to officially respond to the allegations as of the time of filing this report.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2023 - 2025 DailyMirror Nigeria. Design by AspireWeb.ng, powered by WordPress.