Metro

Kidnapped Kebbi High Court Judge Recounts Ordeal In Bandits’ Captivity

Published

on

Justice Faruk Hassan Bunza of the Kebbi State High Court has recounted his experience in captivity after he was abducted from his residence and taken to a bandits’ camp.

According to a report shared on Tuesday by North-West conflict reporter Bakastine on X, five armed men abducted the judge from his residence in Bunza Local Government Area of Kebbi State.

ALSO READ:

The bandits reportedly forced him to trek about 25 kilometres barefoot before taking him to their camp at Dutsen Bandan.

Bunza said he met two other kidnapped Fulani men at the camp.

The following day, the bandits showed him photographs of himself and the Chairman of Bungudu Local Government Area of Zamfara State, Nura Umar Abdullahi.

The abductors reportedly told him they had been instructed to kidnap both men but did not reveal who gave the order.

The judge also said the bandits showed him newspaper reports about his abduction and told him they were aware of reports that N200 million had been set aside for his release.

According to him, at least 20 bandits were operating from the camp and depended on informants in surrounding communities for information. The gang members also maintained contact with their families.

Bunza said the bandits were constantly alert despite being heavily armed. He recalled that they once warned him against coughing because they feared the sound could expose their location.

DAILY POST gathered that the judge’s family eventually paid N50 million for his release. Following the payment, most of the bandits reportedly left the camp, leaving two men behind to guard him.

Bunza said he later overheard the two remaining abductors arguing, with one of them suggesting that he should be killed.

At about 5pm, he realised that he had been left alone. He removed the covering over his face and escaped on foot.

The judge eventually reached a nearby village, where he boarded a commercial motorcycle.

Bunza was abducted from his residence on July 26 and regained his freedom on August 3, spending about eight days in captivity.

His release was later confirmed by the Kebbi State Police Command, his family and the state Ministry of Justice.

Despite the ordeal, Bunza said the incident would not discourage him from performing his duties.

“My kidnapping can never deter me from my work. I swear to Almighty Allah, nothing on this earth can change my attitude to work. It will motivate me to double my effort,” he said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Exit mobile version